- Juan Gil Honoro Vera Monastrell Organic 2017VM90$7.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! Vivid red. Pungent red berry preserve and cherry aromas are complicated by smoky mineral and floral notes. Appealing sweet and seamless on the palate, offering juicy raspberry and bitter cherry flavors that become sweeter with air but avoid jamminess. Finishes smooth and long, with gentle tannic grip and lingering spiciness. The bang for the buck here is pretty serious. (raised in stainless steel tanks) - Josh Raynolds, Vinous Media Learn More
- Pago de Carraovejas Ribera del Duero Reserva 2014WE94JD97$64.98Availability:In Stock97 Points! A magical wine, the 2014 Reserva from winemaker Almudena Calvo is largely Tempranillo blend with 6% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% Merlot, all aged in French oak for a year. Deep and powerful, with beautiful concentration, it’s nevertheless incredibly elegant and seamless on the palate, and shows terrific complexity in its blackcurrants, graphite, white flowers, and vanilla bean aromas and flavors. A wine of great intensity as well as purity, it builds with time in the glass and has a fabulous finish that won’t quit. It’s not for those craving lightweight aromas and flavors, but it’s a thrilling wine. Drink it any time over the coming 10-15 years. - Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.com Learn More
- Cune Rioja Viña Real Crianza 2015JS92$14.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! This is a fuller and richer crianza with dried fruit, meat and spice. Layered and round-textured. Shows soft tannins. Rich and flavorful at the finish. Gorgeous wine. Drink now. - JamesSuckling.com Learn More
- Celler Capcanes Montsant Potente 2016JS93VM90$9.98Availability:In StockVery attractive nose of black cherries, sage and chocolate. Ripe and generous with nice, warm tannins that fill out the full body very nicely. Long and very harmonious finish. Drink or hold. - JamesSuckling.com
Bright violet color. Spice-accented red/blue fruits on the nose, along with a suave floral overtone. Lively and incisive on the palate, offering mineral-inflected boysenberry and raspberry flavors that show a Pinot-like light touch. Silky tannins add subtle grip to the finish, which leaves a zesty red berry note behind. - Josh Raynolds, Vinous Media Learn More
- Familia Nin-Ortiz Priorat Nit de Nin La Coma d’en Romeu 2016JD94$79.98Availability:In StockThe 2016 Nit De Nin La Coma D'En Romeu is another perfumed red from this estate, yet it takes the exotic level up a notch. Wild strawberries, pomegranate, blood orange, and crush violet notes all define the bouquet, and it’s medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and layered on the palate. While it’s a beautiful wine, it has a certain wildness that makes me think it’s best enjoyed over the coming 7-8 years. This cuvée is all Garnacha from a higher elevation vineyard and spent 17 months in once-used 600-liter barrels. - Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.com Learn More
- Creta Roble Ribera del Duero 2016JD91$11.98Availability:In StockA value priced Ribera del Duero, the 2016 Creta Roble is a smoking value made from 100% Tempranillo aged in a mix of French and American oak. It boasts a deep purple color as well as terrific notes of ripe blackcurrants, graphite and white chocolate. With full-bodied richness, an opulent, sexy style, and no hard edges, drink this fruit bomb beauty over the coming couple of years. - Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.com Learn More
- Casa Castillo Jumilla Vino de Finca 2016WA92$16.98Availability:In Stock
There is a new middle-of-the-range red, above the Monastrell and below the single-vineyard wines, already in its second vintage with the 2016. This 2016 Vino de Finca comes from the oldest vineyard (from the grapes that used to go to the Monastrell) and also from different parts within the estate. It's mainly Monastrell with some 5% Garnacha, fermented with part of full clusters and indigenous yeasts and matured in oak foudres for one year. This is incredibly aromatic and expressive, with floral notes that I don't often find in Monastrell, elegant, balanced, fresh ... simply unbelievable. It has an outstanding palate, with refined tannins and great length. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.comLearn More
- Artadi Rioja Valdegines 2016WA94$51.98Availability:In Stock
94 Points! The 2016 Valdeginés comes from an organically farmed vineyard planted 35 to 40 years ago at 600 meters in altitude in the village of Laguardia. From an east-facing plot of five hectares opposite La Poza de Ballesteros, the vines are younger here (from the early 1980s), and they get the morning sun. In a cooler year, like this 2016, the grapes ripened quite slowly. The Valdeginés fermented with indigenous yeasts in open-top wooden vats after a 24- to 48-hour cold soak and then matured in barrel until malolactic was completed, yet there is no trace of oak (the élevage was shortened to nine months in barrel), instead it's floral and vibrant in the palate. This is always the first single-vineyard wine offered for tasting, and it tends to be their prettiest wine; in 2016 it was really captivating, very clean, fresh and open from the first minute after being poured in the glass. 2016 seems to be a very transparent vintage, and this is a great example of it. Superb! 13,000 bottles produced. Drink: 2019-2026. - Luis Gutierrez, Robert Parker's Wine AdvocateLearn More
- Raul Perez Bierzo La Vizcaina La Vitoriana 2016WA96$33.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! The vines at La Vitoriana are from a north-facing part of the vineyard and are extremely old, and the grapes show their best between 13% and 13.5% alcohol. The maceration of the 2016 La Vizcaína La Vitoriana is the longest of all wines from La Vizcaína wines, and it always has very strong balsamic notes. It's subtle and elegant with a velvety texture, with lots of energy and inner strength. Pérez selects about half of the vineyard, and he feels 2016 is the year that best represents the character of the place. I'd add it's probably the best vintage so far. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.comLearn More
- Remelluri Rioja Lindes de Remelluri Vinedos de San Vicente 2014JS96Special Price $19.98 Regular Price $32.00Availability:In Stock96 Points! Some richer, darker and deeper fruit character with plums, blackberries and a dark, earthy streak. The tannins are more upright, more elevated, and the fruit is richer and darker than in the Labastida. This has real presence, grip and energy. - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Columna Albarino Rias Baixas 2017JS90VM90$14.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! Pale gold. High-pitched citrus and orchard fruit aromas show very good clarity and a chalky mineral topnote. Dry, nervy and focused on the palate, offering bitter lemon pith and green apple flavors that put on weight with air. Shows a touch of honeysuckle on the finish, which clings with bright, mineral tenacity and a repeating floral note.
- Avancia Godello Valdeorras Old Vines 2016WS92VM93$27.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! Limpid straw-yellow. Powerful pear, nectarine and melon qualities on the highly perfumed nose, which is complemented by smoky mineral, jasmine and ginger nuances. Sappy, mineral-laced orchard and pit fruit stain the palate and become spicier as the wine stretches out. Rich, yet nervy in style, finishing very long and energetic, with resonating florality and a lingering mineral flourish.
- Granbazan Albarino Rias Baixas Etiqueta Verde 2017JS92VM92$18.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Bright, green-hued straw. Aromas of quince, melon and nectarine are energized by a hint of lime zest. Concentrated but surprisingly lively, offering densely packed and incisive citrus pith, bitter pear skin and honeysuckle flavors that deepen steadily on the back half. Shows impressive clarity and lift. Finishes very long and precise, leaving persistent mineral and floral notes behind.
- Bodegas Mauro Mauro 2016WA93$42.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The eponymous 2016 Mauro is mostly Tempranillo (or Tinto Fino) with some Syrah from 80 hectares of different vineyards, mostly in the villages of Tudela de Duero, Traspinedo and Santibañez. It fermented in stainless steel and matured in French and American oak barrels and foudres for 15 months. 2016 is a cooler, more Atlantic and more drinkable vintage with contained ripeness, fine tannins and nice balance. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.comLearn More
- Descendientes de J. Palacios Petalos Bierzo 2017WA93$17.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! 2017 was a very unusual year in Bierzo, and here they started harvesting the 21st of August, when they had never started harvesting in August. There are more white grapes in the 2017 Pétalos del Bierzo, almost 10%, not because they wanted to lower the alcohol, because the alcohol was similar to 2016, but because the white grapes achieved perfect ripeness (Ricardo Pérez Palacios told me he's never seen such beautiful white grapes). The wine had been bottled the day before I tasted it, so they also showed me a tank and a barrel sample they had saved for the purpose of comparison. However, the bottled wine, the first produced at their new facilities, was really singing and didn't show any fatigue. The palate was vibrant, with acid strawberry flavors. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.comLearn More
- Red Skirt Viognier Vinos de la Tierra de Castilla 2017$9.98Availability:In StockA tremendous deal on a grape that, due to its tricky growing season and tiny ripening band, is typically known for not 'delivering the goods' on a value level. This exotic, and sophisticated Viognier is grown from certified organic vineyards in the valley of Jumilla, southeastern Spain.Learn More
- Vinedos del Contino Rioja Gran Reserva 2011WS92WA92$44.98Availability:Out of Stock92 Points! The 2011 Gran Reserva is bottled in magnum, blended from 70% Tempranillo, 15% Graciano, 12% Garnacha and 3% Viura. The élevage was extended to three years in used oak barrels followed by a further three years in bottle. It feels quite ripe and a little heady, generously oaked. It's a very dry year, and the wine doesn't have the freshness of the 2010. It seems like the nature of the vintage and the warmish location have resulted in a very ripe year. There is more freshness on the palate, where there are tannins that might need more time in bottle and even some edgy acidity. - Luis Gutierrez, Wine Advocate
- Muga Rioja Reserva 2015JS94WA92$26.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! Complex nose with ripe black cherries, deeply integrated cedary oak, baking spices, dried flowers, leather, fresh tobacco and earthy notes. This is silky and mellow with long, laid-back tannins that deliver ripe dark plum flavors into a spicy and earthy finish. - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Txomin Etxaniz Txakolina 2017VM92$19.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Pale yellow. Powerful citrus pith, floral and mineral aromas show very good delineation and spicy lift. Juicy and focused on the palate, offering pliant lemon/lime, green apple and honeysuckle flavors that pick up a refreshingly bitter quality on the back half. Finishes long and precise with resonating floral character and sharp delineation especially for a ripe vintage. - Josh Raynolds, Vinous MediaLearn More