- Nortico Alvarinho 2018$12.98Availability:In StockAsk anyone for the best Alvarinho in Portugal and people will point to the extreme north to the sub-region of Moncao and Melgao, right on the border with Spain. Nortico Alvarinho is a superb example of the grapes hallmarks: fresh citrus, peach and tropical fruit aromas paired with clean, juicy fruit and vibrant minerality. Nortico is produced on the south bank of the Minho River in plots so small they are called "Jardins", gardens in Portuguese. Soils here are granite and shiest and although it rains a lot (2,000 ml annually) the inland area is a little warmer than the coastal plantings allowing for a perfect maturation. Learn More
- Columna Albarino Rias Baixas 2017JS90VM90$14.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! Pale gold. High-pitched citrus and orchard fruit aromas show very good clarity and a chalky mineral topnote. Dry, nervy and focused on the palate, offering bitter lemon pith and green apple flavors that put on weight with air. Shows a touch of honeysuckle on the finish, which clings with bright, mineral tenacity and a repeating floral note.
- Granbazan Albarino Rias Baixas Etiqueta Verde 2017JS92VM92$18.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Bright, green-hued straw. Aromas of quince, melon and nectarine are energized by a hint of lime zest. Concentrated but surprisingly lively, offering densely packed and incisive citrus pith, bitter pear skin and honeysuckle flavors that deepen steadily on the back half. Shows impressive clarity and lift. Finishes very long and precise, leaving persistent mineral and floral notes behind.
- Soalheiro Alvarinho Vinho Verde 2017WA92$19.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! The 2017 Alvarinho is dry (3.5 grams of sugar and 6.5 grams of total acidity) and comes in at 12.5% alcohol. Colloquially known as the "classico," the flagship unoaked Alvarinho, is typically one of the finest values in Vinho Verde. It ages effortlessly. It's concentrated and structured. Plus, with 100,000 bottles produced, there's enough of it to make it a little easier to acquire than some specialty bottlings. Sourced from 25-year-old vines, this shows off that bit of "Soalheiro Green," as I like to call it, then adds a big finish and a concentrated mid-palate to accompany the herbs. Ripe, fruity and surprisingly accessible this year, this shows very well from the get-go. - Mark Squires, Wine Advocate.Learn More
- Garzon Tannat Single Vineyard Uruguay 2015WS91WE91JS92$25.98Availability:Out of Stock92 Points! This is round and very silky with a lovely texture and intensity. Full body, round and polished tannins. Lots of blueberry, cherry and hints of mineral and stone. Drink or hold. - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Raul Perez Atalier a Cruz Das Animas Albarino Rias Baixas 2017WA92$21.98Availability:In Stock92+ Points! The second vintage of the Albariño 2017 Atalier fermented in 5,000-liter oak foudre and stainless steel, approximately 50/50 of each. It has a clean and discrete nose, but the surprise is the vibrant palate with a long wine, lifted and fresh, with subdued minerality and a tasty, serious finish. I think this is going to age nicely. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.com
- Garzon Tannat Reserve Uruguay 2016JS92$14.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Iodine, ink, tar, crushed stones and dark plum essence. This has all the hallmarks of a fruity tannat, but it's in no way too much. It combines a lovely firm tannin backbone with tangy acidity, which carries all the way to the savory finish. Drink now. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Palacio de Fefinanes Albarino Rias Baixas 2017$24.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! One of the top whites in this report is the 2017 Albariño from Palacio de Fefinanes, which is 100% varietal and sees no oak, being brought up all in stainless steel. Vivid notes of lime, citrus, crushed rocks, and an almost Riesling-like petrol character all soar from the glass. Medium-bodied, seamless, and incredibly elegant on the palate, it has remarkable purity of fruit and flawless balance, and while it’s not as concentrated as the more expensive 1583 cuvée, I like the balance and purity here more. This is one to seek out, and it should keep for 2-4 years. - Jeb Dunnuck
- Leirana Albarino Finca Genoveva Rias Baixas 2016WA95$54.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! The peachy and aromatic 2016 Leirana Finca Genoveva has a sharp palate with the firm texture provided by the granite and good acidity, but it's a little rounder and more approachable than the sharp 2015. This has Albariño character—it's floral and expressive but marked by the soil; it's a serious wine, really very good value for the quality it delivers. Some 6,000 bottles were produced, as they produce two 2,500-liter oak foudres almost every year. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.comLearn More
- Leirana Albarino Rias Baixas 2016WA92$42.98Availability:In Stock92+ Points! 2016 was a slow ripening year, and there was some rain. They waited for the grapes to recover, so the grapes for the 2016 Leirana were harvested a little later, with perfect ripeness and a little more body and lower acidity. But we're talking 13.4% alcohol and 8.6 grams of acidity (tartaric), very good figures. It's a very complete wine, with superb balance and freshness and without excessive acidity that can sometimes happen. This is still very young, but it will improve in bottle and possibly become one of the best, if not the best, vintages of Leirana. - Luis Gutierrez, robertparker.comLearn More
- Cruse Wine Company Tannat Alder Springs Vineyard 2015VM90$44.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! Michael Cruse's 2015 Tannat Alder Springs is bold and intense, and yet the huge tannins typical of this variety have been largely tamed. A host of earthy, savory notes add aromatic complexity to the deeply expressive, varietal fruit. The 2015 is bold and rustic (there is only so much one can do with Tannat) and yet all the elements are beautifully balanced. The Tannat was vinified in concrete and aged in barrel. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous MediaLearn More