- Paolo Scavino Barolo Cannubi 2015JS98WA94+$69.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! It’s the fruit tea and hibiscus that really lifts this, not to mention the roasted herbs that lurk beneath the surface. But there’s no shortage of dried fruit either, whether it be dried cherries, dried plums or Christmas cake. It’s a real mouth-coater, showing sheer elegance in a bottle, encapsulated in the tannins that weave an ornate tapestry, hung between every corner of the palate. Full-bodied and very, very long. Best ever? - JamesSuckling.com Learn More
- Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore 2016DEC98JD98JS98WA98VM96$209.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia is a wine of extreme complexity and precision. It offers monumental depth with profound layers of black fruit, coffee, licorice and baking chocolate. I tasted this 2016 vintage beside the less-impactful 2015 vintage (which was reviewed last year). These two editions are very different when compared side to side, and this 2016 release is clearly superior in terms of the quality, clarity and intensity of its offerings. This Ornellaia delivers glossy shine and a polished texture that segues to important richness, concentration and textural fiber. It wraps thickly over the palate, imparting waves of sweet dark fruit and dark spice that linger for many long minutes. This beautiful wine is hitting the market now, but collectors will want to put it straight into their cellars for safekeeping. - Monica Larner, robertparker.com Learn More
- Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore 2016 3.0 LiterDEC98JD98JS98WA98VM96$999.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia is a wine of extreme complexity and precision. It offers monumental depth with profound layers of black fruit, coffee, licorice and baking chocolate. I tasted this 2016 vintage beside the less-impactful 2015 vintage (which was reviewed last year). These two editions are very different when compared side to side, and this 2016 release is clearly superior in terms of the quality, clarity and intensity of its offerings. This Ornellaia delivers glossy shine and a polished texture that segues to important richness, concentration and textural fiber. It wraps thickly over the palate, imparting waves of sweet dark fruit and dark spice that linger for many long minutes. This beautiful wine is hitting the market now, but collectors will want to put it straight into their cellars for safekeeping. - Monica Larner, robertparker.com Learn More
- Antinori Guado al Tasso Bolgheri Superiore 2016WS94JS98-99WA98$104.98Availability:In Stock
98-99 Points! Full-bodied, dense and layered with fantastic aromas and flavors. Long, long finish. Serious contender here for wine of the vintage. One of the best ever from here? A blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot and syrah. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.com
98 Points! This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer. - Wine AdvocateLearn More
- Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini Chiniera 2015JS98WA96VM97$79.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! Extremely perfumed, showing lots of rose, lavender and dark-berry character. Full body with intense density and chewiness that gives the wine great structure. Lots of flavor and focus at the finish. Needs five to six years to finish. - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Vietti Barolo Rocche 2015JS98WA96VM94$179.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! A hauntingly complex and finely detailed nose that touches so many different characters. Roses, dried wood, cedar, fine brown spices, light earthy notes, warm stones, mountain herbs and leaves. All here – very complex. The density and weight is exceptional, as is the fine, firm weave of tannins. The length is staggering and the tautness and balance are captivating. One of the stars of the vintage! - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Gaja Nebbiolo Langhe Sori San Lorenzo 1996VM98$399.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! Gaja's 1996 Sorì San Lorenzo is epic. A huge, towering wine, the 1996 Sorì San Lorenzo wraps around the palate with magnificent depth, power and intensity. Smoke, charcoal embers, menthol, licorice, plum, spice and gravel are all pushed forward. Sorì San Lorenzo always yields broad, virile wines. Those qualities marry perfectly with the style of the vintage to produce a vivid, memorable wine of the very highest level. Readers who own or can find the 1996 Sorì San Lorenzo should not hesitate, as it is truly thrilling from the very first taste. Wow!
- Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia Ornellaia 2015WS97JS98VM98$229.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The 2015 Ornellaia is a dream wine with magnificent balance. All the elements are in the right place. In most vintages, Ornellaia needs time to fully come together, but the 2015 is just impeccable, even in the early going. The warm vintage notwithstanding, winemaker Axel Heinz crafted and Ornellaia is more about finesse and power. The potent, bruising tannins Ornellaia can show as a young wine are nowhere to be found. Bright raspberry jam, mint, white flowers and pomegranate are some of the many notes that punctuate the finish in a memorable Ornellaia that will go down among the great vintages produced at this reference-point estate. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous MediaLearn More
- Schiopetto Friulano Collio M 2016JS98$54.98Availability:Out of Stock98 Points! This is extremely smoky on the nose with flint and gunpowder. Dried apple, lemon and pear character. Full body, dense and powerful. Yet always lively and dancing in the palate. Crazy finish. One of Italy's top whites. Made from vines planted in 1954. Drink now. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.com
- Orma Orma Toscana 2015JS98VM96$64.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! Plenty of ripe blackberry and incense. Opens up beautifully in the glass. So perfumed. Full body and seamless tannins that coat your palate with a silky texture. Wonderfully framed with complex fruit. Drink in 2021 but already gorgeous. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Castello Di Ama L'Apparita 2013VM98$179.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The highlight in this range, the 2013 L'Apparita is a real stunner. Deep, explosive and beautifully layered in the glass, the 2013 possesses stunning nuance. This is an especially restrained Apparita built more on finesse than power. The translucence and total sense of elegance here are both truly remarkable. In short, this is a memorable edition for one of Tuscany's very finest wines. Layers of rich, dark fruit, spice, leather and smoke infuse the creamy, voluptuous finish. The oak needs to settle down.
- Orma Orma Toscana 2013JS98$54.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! Aromas of blackberry, burnt orange, licorice and spice follow through to a full body, with super integrated and fine tannins plus a fabulous depth of fruit and center palate. This is a great wine. Drink in 2017. James Suckling, July 20, 2016Learn More