- Montevertine Le Pergole Torte 1996 Magnum 1.5LVM95$599.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! The 1996 Le Pergole Torte, from a cold, late-ripening vintage, is powerful and explosive, with a compelling interplay of ripeness, sweetness and structure. Cherry jam, wild flowers, mint, sweet spices, menthol and licorice meld together in the glass, while lavender, rose petal, quinine and a host of aromatic notes come alive on the finish. Although striking today, the 1996 will drink well for another 10-15 years, perhaps longer. Today, it is truly special. In 1996, the harvest began on October 21, exceedingly late, even for Montevertine. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media 2016 Learn More
- Vietti Barolo Rocche 1996VM94$179.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! The mid to late 1990s were a period of considerable change in Piedmont, as the differences between traditional and more modern-leaning producers were especially marked during this time. The 1996 Barolo Rocche is dark, virile and imposing, all signatures of this super-classic vintage. Rose petal and tar notes give the 1996 much of its captivating appeal. The 1996 is the one wine in this tasting that did not respond well to aeration. In my view, the 1996 was never as beautiful as it was when the bottles were first opened. Readers lucky enough to own the 1996 are in for a fabulous experience, although I would suggest waiting another few years for the wine to come into its prime.
- Roberto Voerzio Barolo La Serra 1996WS96$199.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! Gushing with fruit on the nose, with blackberry, fresh porcini and flowers. Full-bodied and very powerful, with masses of fruit and solid tannins. Incredible that this is still just a baby. The tough tannins are starting to mellow.--1996 Piedmont retrospective. Best after 2010. - Wine Spectator, 2007Learn More
- Roberto Voerzio Barolo Brunate 1996WS93VM96$249.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! The 1996 Barolo Brunate has aged more gracefully than the Cerequio and has also handled its oak better. Dark red cherry, plum, smoke, licorice and sweet spices infuse the creamy, expansive finish. Dark, brooding and explosive, the 1996 Brunate is superb.
- Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc 1996WS93$149.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! Gorgeous aromas of ripe raspberry, plum and roasted coconut. Full-bodied, with loads of bright fruit, fine tannins and a long, chewy finish. Already closed up; give it time. Best after 2004. - Wine SpectatorLearn More
- Gaja Nebbiolo Langhe Sori Tildin 1996VM96$399.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! The Sorì Tildìn is one of the best wines in this retrospective of Gaja's 1996s. Sweet floral notes, mint and sweet red cherries give the 1996 its distinctive lifted, perfumed personality, qualities that are enhanced by the wine's natural acidity. Fresh, aromatically open and also quite energetic, Sorì Tildìn is distinguished by its detail and nuance. Think of a sketch done in fine pencil.
- Gaja Nebbiolo Langhe Sori San Lorenzo 1996VM98$399.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! Gaja's 1996 Sorì San Lorenzo is epic. A huge, towering wine, the 1996 Sorì San Lorenzo wraps around the palate with magnificent depth, power and intensity. Smoke, charcoal embers, menthol, licorice, plum, spice and gravel are all pushed forward. Sorì San Lorenzo always yields broad, virile wines. Those qualities marry perfectly with the style of the vintage to produce a vivid, memorable wine of the very highest level. Readers who own or can find the 1996 Sorì San Lorenzo should not hesitate, as it is truly thrilling from the very first taste. Wow!
- Elio Altare Barolo Brunate 1996VM94$149.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! Altare's 1996 Barolo Brunate is just starting to have the first signs of tertiary aromatic development, although it retains a good bit of freshness as well. The Brunate is marked by its vertical sense of structure and tannic heft, but those elements are nicely balanced. Rose petal, lavender, leather and a host of darker fruit overtones all develop in a super-expressive Barolo that captures the truest essence of this great site.
- Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra 1996VM95$119.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! Domenico Clerico's 1996 Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra has had a fascinating evolution. As a young wine, the 1996 Ciabot was a symbol of the times. With its bold, racy profile and explosive personality [character], it also encapsulated Domenico Clerico's outgoing personality. Today, at twenty years of age, the 1996 presents the typical flavor profile of a mature Barolo, with plenty of sweet tobacco, leather, mint, dried cherry and rose petal nuances. The new French oak (around 90% at the time) is mostly felt in the wine's tannin profile. Much of the intensity the 1996 showed as a young wine has receded. What remains is a very pretty, expressive Barolo to drink now and over the next few years.