- Onward Carignane Contra Costa County Casa Roja Vineyard 2014$24.98Availability:In StockI absolutely fell head over heels in love with this heritage field blend site. It is the oldest vineyard in the area, sustainably and dry farmed and planted in the late 1800s. This vineyard lies along the edges of both the San Francisco and Suisun Bays. Walking in the vineyard is like walking on a beach, as it sits on 100% sandy soils, giving rise to smaller, hardy bush vines. While this block is predominantly Carignane, it has some Mourvèdre and Malvasia Nero interplanted in it. The vineyard is leased and farmed by Dan Gonsalves. It is affectionately called Casa Roja, named by the locals years ago.
A layer of whole cluster was placed at the bottom of the fermenter, then the remaining fruit was de-stemmed and the whole berries transferred to the open-top fermentation tanks to cold soak prior to native fermentation, which allows for delicate extraction and adds complexity. Gentle extraction was ensured also by performing punchdowns to mix the must, while higher temperatures are encouraged here to soften tannins. After fermentation, the wine was pressed and sent to neutral French oak barrels, where native malolactic fermentation was encouraged (by keeping them cozy with some stirring). - Owner/winemaker Faith Armstrong Foster Learn More
- Porter Creek Carignane Old Vine Mendocino County 2015$27.98Availability:In StockWinery notes: Carignane is a red varietal that was widely planted in California during the late 1800’s though the mid- 1900’s, mostly by Italian immigrants, and some of the old vineyards are still producing. Ours comes from a vineyard planted in 1939, and yields a wine that is remarkably rich and generous, yet supple and silky. There is a unique fruit profile of black currants, plums and spice. Learn More
- Punica Barrua Isola Dei Nuraghi 2014JS95VM91$37.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! Aromas of rosemary, lavender, blackberries and black licorice follow through to a full body that shows licorice, walnut shell, tar and dark fruit. Fascinating wine with real personality. Always refined. Drink now. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Vall Llach Priorat Porrera 2014WS93WA93$56.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The village red 2014 Porrera is mostly Cariñena with 23% Garnacha from old vines on very steep slate slopes. It fermented in 225- and 500-liter oak barrels and small stainless steel vats with indigenous yeasts and with daily pigéage for some 19 days. It matured for 14 months, with the Cariñena in 225- and 300-liter oak barrels and the Garnacha in 1,500-liter oak vats and clay amphorae. It feels like the juice from the old Cariñena tolerated the oak quite well, and the wine showed better balance and freshness than most of its siblings. It's quite extracted but showed more acidity, which compensated it so that it felt more balanced, in its own XL way. - Luis Gutierrez, Wine Advocate
- Ritme Celler Priorat (Carignan) 2015$19.98Availability:In StockHelmed by the energetic, free-wheeling Albert Jané, Ritme (Catalan for ‘rhythm’) Celler is based in La Vilella Alta, just north of Gratallops. The vineyards are steep and soils are mostly of the decomposed slate known locally as llicorella. The core holdings are 35- to 80-year-old bush vines of Garnatxa and Carignan (with a particular emphasis on Carignan—also known locally as Samsó or Carinyena) sprinkled with Garnatxa Blanca, Macabeu, and a few other varieties. These are planted in poor, rocky soil and tended and harvested by hand at extremely low yields for an intense natural concentration of flavor without heaviness. In short, Jané espouses a minimalist philosophy of respect for old vines, indigenous varieties, manual labor, and sensitive cellar handling.Learn More
- Ryme Cellars Carignan Testa Vineyard Mendocino 2014VM91$27.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! The 2014 Carignane Testa Vineyard is one of the more overt wines in this range. Red cherry, plum and pomegranate are all pushed forward in this deeply expressive, radiant Carignane from Ryme.
- The Three Foxes Carignan Swartland 2015$24.98Availability:In StockThe 'Three Foxes' are South African winemaking superstar Chris Mullineux along with Pascal and Olivier Schildt. All natural ferments, no new wood, no enzymes, no filtration nor fining - these wines are a pure expression of their vineyard sites. This is gorgeous old-vine Carignan from the Swartland that wears the Pinot-esque side of Carignan well. Juicy, crunchy, savory, perfectly redolent with farmer's market foresty red fruits with plum and darker berry nuances. Beautiful.Learn More
- Idlewild Wines Carignan Testa Vineyard Mendocino 2014$29.98Availability:In Stock
- Cantina Mesa Rosa Grande Carignano del Sulcis 2015$18.98Availability:In Stock