- G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba Superiore 2016WS93WA92$39.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! Smooth and opulent, this red exudes mulberry, black currant, violet and iron aromas and flavors. Balanced and concentrated, ending with a cascade of ripe fruit. Shows fine purity and tension. Drink now through 2024. - Wine Spectator Learn More
- Marchesi Incisa Della Rocchetta Barbera d'Asti Superiore Sant Emilia 2016$26.98Availability:In Stock
- Onward Carignane Contra Costa County Casa Roja Vineyard 2014$24.98Availability:In StockI absolutely fell head over heels in love with this heritage field blend site. It is the oldest vineyard in the area, sustainably and dry farmed and planted in the late 1800s. This vineyard lies along the edges of both the San Francisco and Suisun Bays. Walking in the vineyard is like walking on a beach, as it sits on 100% sandy soils, giving rise to smaller, hardy bush vines. While this block is predominantly Carignane, it has some Mourvèdre and Malvasia Nero interplanted in it. The vineyard is leased and farmed by Dan Gonsalves. It is affectionately called Casa Roja, named by the locals years ago.
A layer of whole cluster was placed at the bottom of the fermenter, then the remaining fruit was de-stemmed and the whole berries transferred to the open-top fermentation tanks to cold soak prior to native fermentation, which allows for delicate extraction and adds complexity. Gentle extraction was ensured also by performing punchdowns to mix the must, while higher temperatures are encouraged here to soften tannins. After fermentation, the wine was pressed and sent to neutral French oak barrels, where native malolactic fermentation was encouraged (by keeping them cozy with some stirring). - Owner/winemaker Faith Armstrong Foster Learn More
- Braida Barbera d'Asti Montebruna 2016WS91JS91$22.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! A bright, succulent style, with vibrant acidity driving the black cherry, blackberry and spice flavors. Dense yet balanced, offering a long, mouthwatering finish. Drink now through 2024. - Wine SpectatorLearn More
- Marchesi Incisa Della Rocchetta Barbera d'Asti Valmorena 2017WE90$14.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! Aromas of black-skinned fruit, blue flower, cooking spice and a whiff of forest floor fill the glass. It's full bodied and juicy, doling out succulent Marasca cherry, crushed raspberry and clove set against tangy acidity and elegant tannins. Drink through 2021. - Wine EnthusiastLearn More
- Superba Barbera d'Asti Superiore Vigne dei Mastri 2015$37.98Availability:In StockPowerful, cherry, blackberry jam, vanillin and spices for this exceptional Barbera Superiore, obtained from a re-fermentation of dried grapes, just like they do in Amarone country. And yes, it does taste like a Barbera Amarone...delicious stuff!Learn More
- E. Pira & Figli Chiara Boschis Barbera D'Alba Superiore 2016WS91WA91$29.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! The 2016 Barbera d'Alba Superiore starts off with subtle and careful intensity. But as it takes on greater momentum in the glass, you begin to recognize dark fruit, etched mineral and black olive. The finish is polished and crisp. This Barbera reveals significant depth and lasting persistence. - Monica Larner, Wine Advocate.
- Elio Grasso Barbera d'Alba Vigna Martina 2016WA93$27.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The Barbera grape can often act like Nebbiolo showing its best results in the later vintages that end on a cool note. Those conditions are what define the beautiful 2016 Barbera d'Alba Vigna Martina. The wine sees 20 days of maceration with submerged cap, and the bouquet is flowing, polished and impactful as a result. Blackberry, summer cherry and plum rise from the glass. Some 18 months of oak aging adds delicate touches of spice, leather and cedar. - Monica Larner, robertparker.com Learn More
- Agostino Pavia Barbera d'Asti Blina 2016$13.98Availability:In StockFrom importer Oliver McCrum: 'Blina' is the name of the vineyard. This wine is a direct, straightforward rendition of the Barbera grape. Fresh acidity and berry flavors are the hallmarks of Barbera, but low yields and old vines give this wine very good depth and concentration, too. Fermentation and aging are completed in stainless steel, and the wine is bottled before the following harvest. (There are two things I like about wines that aren't aged in oak; one of them is that they taste of fruit, rather than oak, and the other is that they are better value. New barriques cost $800+ each.)Learn More
- Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza La Court 2013JS92Special Price $29.98 Regular Price $60.00Availability:In Stock92 Points! Hints of chocolate and walnut with black fruits on the nose. Full body, light tannins and a velvety texture. Lots of flavor. Drink now. - James SucklingThree Glasses Gambero Rosso!Learn More
- Bosco Agostino Barbera d'Alba Volupta 2015JS91$22.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! Plenty of blue fruit, slate and violets to this Barbera on the nose as well as hints of resin. Full body, fine acidity and a fruity finish. Drink now. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Porter Creek Carignane Old Vine Medocino County 2015$27.98Availability:In Stock
- Punica Barrua Isola Dei Nuraghi 2014JS95VM91$37.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! Aromas of rosemary, lavender, blackberries and black licorice follow through to a full body that shows licorice, walnut shell, tar and dark fruit. Fascinating wine with real personality. Always refined. Drink now. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Ca'Viola Barbera D'Alba Brichet 2015JS93$17.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! There's minerality on the nose of this Barbera, but also some smoky complexity, not to mention brambleberries and blackcurrants. A structured palate with firm tannins, refreshing acidity, and a succulent, chewy finish. Drink now. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More