- Greenock Creek Shiraz Barossa Valley Creek Block 1998WA98$99.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! A near-perfect wine is the 1998 Shiraz Creek Block, a wine made from 62-year old Shiraz aged in a combination of new and French oak. Sadly, there are only 100 cases of this opaque, purple-colored, full-bodied classic. The wine shows terrific notes of beef blood, new saddle leather, blackberry liqueur, smoke, and earth. Extremely full-bodied yet seamless, with dazzling levels of extract and ripeness, this is a tour de force in winemaking, but sadly, there is too little of it. It looks to have the potential to go 20-30 years. - Robert Parker, robertparker.com, 2001Learn More
- Gaja Nebbiolo Langhe Costa Russi 1998WS96VM94$299.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! Intense aromas of tar and dark fruits. Full and solid, with chewy tannins and mineral, blueberry and blackberry flavors. Structured, yet fruity. Give it time. Tight still. But so layered and impressive.--1998 Piedmont blind retrospective (2008). - Wine SpectatorLearn More
- Gaja Barbaresco 1998WS92WA91VM91$229.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Subtle and perfumed, with rose, raspberry and strawberry. Full-bodied, with very silky tannins and a long finish. Seamless and textured. Pretty now, but give it a few more years.--1998 Piedmont blind retrospective (2008). - Wine SpectatorLearn More
- Falletto di Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto di Serralunga d'Alba 1998VM95$224.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! Bruno Giacosa's 1998 Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto is another gorgeous wine. The fresh, floral bloom the wine had in its infancy has softened and the aromas today are moving towards sensations of dried flowers and spices. The wine retains a lovely inner sweetness backed up by considerable structure, which leads me to believe that the tannins might very well outlast the fruit. This is a beautiful Le Rocche, but probably won't be one of the longest-lived vintages of this wine. The wine can be enjoyed today if opened several hours prior to serving, but should also drink well for at least another decade.
- Falletto di Bruno Giacosa Barolo Serralunga d'Alba 1998 1.5L MagnumVM95$399.98Availability:In Stock95+ Points! Very good medium-deep red. Knockout Barolo nose in all its rustic splendor, showing everything from exotic fruits to smoke, game, tobacco, camphor and white truffle. Urgent, penetrating and supersweet, with nearly candied red fruit flavors saturating the palate. A youthfully aggressive wine that really needs a few years to calm down. Finishes with strong but fine tannins and great ripeness.
- Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano Riserva 1998VM94$399.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! The 1998 is the last Barbaresco Santo Stefano Giacosa bottled as a Riserva. For years, the 1998 flew under the radar, likely a victim of a vintage that at the time was considered very good, but not great. Dried cherry, star anise, pomegranate, dried rose petal and deeply spiced notes are some of the signatures. The 1998 is deep, fleshy and quite giving in personality.
- Padelletti Brunello di Montalcino 1998JS91$84.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! A firm, rich wine with dried-berry, Parmesan and cedar character. Shriveled berries. Full body, chewy and flavorful. Fascinating wine that shows the high quality of the 1998 vintage, overlooked thanks to the legendary 1997. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Pavie Saint Emilion 1998WA97$324.98Availability:In Stock97 Points! The 1998 Pavie is deep garnet-brick in color. So much fruit comes charging out of the gate here: profound crème de cassis, baked blackberries and blackberry preserves with notions of beef dripping, crushed rocks, unsmoked cigar, sandalwood and dried lavender. Big, rich and beautifully impactful, it is completely packed with taut, muscular black and blue fruit preserves, maintaining nice firm grainy tannins with layer after layer of exotic spices, meat and earth notions, finishing epically long and minerally. Should easily continue to cellar for 25+ years. - Lisa Perrotti-Brown, robertparker.com, 2018Learn More
- La Mission Haut Brion Pessac Leognan 1998JS98WA98$398.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! A candidate for the wine of the vintage from this somewhat forgotten year, consumers should be seeking out wines from the Right Bank and Graves as 1998 was a great vintage in those appellations. La Mission’s 1998 exhibits a healthy, opaque blue/purple color with no lightening at the edge. Thirty minutes of aeration brings forth a sensational bouquet of chocolate, cedar, truffles, graphite, blackberries, cassis and incense. La Mission’s so-called scorched earth/charcoal/hot rocks characteristic has not yet appeared. Full-bodied with superb purity, a multilayered texture, sweet tannin, good acidity and a fabulously long finish, this great, young La Mission-Haut-Brion’s finest days are yet to come. Anticipated maturity: 2018-2040. - Robert Parker, Wine Advocate #202, 2012Learn More
- La Conseillante Pomerol 1998WA93$224.98Availability:In Stock93+ Points! Tasted at the La Conseillante vertical at Chez Bruce. The first bottle is oxidized, the second better with an intense bouquet with hints of mint, coca and mocha, showing more Cabernet Franc character than recent bottles, with impressive delineation. The palate is medium-bodied, quite fresh and vibrant with grainy tannins, good acidity and persistency with a meaty, savoury, Cabernet Franc driven finish. Very fine and it improves with time, with an edgy citrus finish and delicious dark chocolate/espresso decorating the aftertaste. I have had better bottles of the '98, but this is still a lovely Pomerol that should enter its plateau in the next couple of years. Tasted December 2010. - Neal Martin, robertparker.comLearn More
- Kirwan Margaux 1998WA90$79.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! This once moribund estate has totally reversed itself. A sleeper of the vintage, the opaque purple-colored 1998 boasts a smoky, licorice, cassis, and mineral-scented bouquet. Full-bodied, powerful, yet elegant, it successfully balances complexity with an unbridled richness and power. Very impressive, particularly in view of its exceptional concentration, it will handsomely repay cellaring of two decades or more. Anticipated maturity: 2006-2025. - Robert Parker, Wine Advocate #134, 2001Learn More
- Calon Segur Saint Estephe 1998WA93$139.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The 1998 Calon-Ségur, blended of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot, is deep garnet-purple in color with just a touch of brick and a very earthy/meaty nose with notions of new leather, smoked game, truffles, dusty soil, iron ore and mossy bark over a core of crème de cassis, preserved plums, spice cake and unsmoked cigars plus a waft of incense. The palate is medium-bodied and packed with spicy and earthy layers with velvety tannins, seamless freshness and great length. Give it 10 to 15+ more years. - Lisa Perrotti-Brown, robertparker.com, 2018
- Angelus Saint Emilion 1998WA98$424.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The 1998 Angélus, a blend of 40% Cabernet Franc and 60% Merlot, is deep garnet colored with a touch of brick. The nose is completely...WOW! It has an incredible array of smoked meats, incense, cigar box and dusty earth notions over a core of baked cherries, dried mulberries, preserved plums and dried roses with wafts of lavender, menthol and new leather. The palate is medium to full-bodied, rich, intense and packed with black fruit preserves accented by complex savory and earth-inspired flavors, supported by wonderful freshness, textured by plush tannins and finishing with fantastic tension. This still has loads of life—25+ more years! - Lisa Perrotti-Brown, robertparker.comLearn More
- La Gardine Chateauneuf du Pape 1998 WS Top 100 2000 #22WS94JD92WA92$74.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! A wonderful, masterful wine. Both firm and opulent, it displays a nice dig into the Rhône terroir as it brings out wet earth, mineral and an interesting, chewy tannin structure. A high-voltage drinking experience, with lots of fruit, spice and mocha. Best from 2003 through 2020. - PM, Wine SpectatorLearn More
- Gruaud Larose Saint Julien 1998$94.98Availability:In Stock
The color is a healthy dark ruby/purple. The bouquet offers aromas of plums, black raspberries, and cassis. Stylish, with medium to full body, sweet tannin, and excellent purity as well as overall symmetry…- Robert Parker, robertparker.com
- Kay Brothers Shiraz Hillside 1998WA94$49.98Availability:In StockThe 1998 Shiraz Hillside was aged in 100% new American oak from relatively young vines that are the same clone of Shiraz as planted in the Block 6, which still contains 100+ year old vines. This is a full throttle, artisinal, powerful, super-concentrated wine with opaque black/purple color, notes of new oak intermixed with licorice, blackberry, cassis, asphalt, and leather. The wine is huge, massive, chewy, and unctuously textured. It is a total turn-on. Drink it over the next 15-20+ years. - Robert Parker, Wine Advocate #135Learn More
- Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Monte Real Gran Reserva 1998WE94VM93$49.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! Dark red with a pale rim. Pungent, spicy nose shows pure cherry, redcurrant and plum complemented by succulent herbs, vanillin oak spice and a hint of dried flowers. Supple, lush and deep, with sweet red fruit flavors framed by gentle tannins. Fleshy and sweet on the back end, with impressive concentration and focus. This should age well. - Josh Raynolds, Vinous MediaLearn More