Search results for: 'wine'
- Cruse Wine Company Monkey Jacket Red Wine Blend 2017VM91$24.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! Michael Cruse’s 2017 Monkey Jacket, a Valdiguié/Petite Sirah/Carignan and mixed blacks blend, is dark, racy and absolutely gorgeous. Black cherry, plum, spice and leather notes race out of the glass in this pliant, super-expressive red. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media
- Betz Family Winery Clos de Betz Red 2014WA95VM94$54.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! Possessing the highest percentage of Merlot ever for the cuvee (at least until the 2015), the 2014 Clos de Betz is 71% Merlot, 19% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Petit Verdot that’s just under half from Red Mountain fruit and the rest from Columbia Valley sites. Notes of cassis, licorice, damp herbs, chocolate and earth all flow to a medium to full-bodied, supple, elegant and incredibly polished 2014 that needs 2-3 years of bottle age and will keep for 10-15 years. - Jeb Dunnuck, Wine AdvocateLearn More
- Sixto Wines Chardonnay Roza Hills 2015JD94WA93VM92$34.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! From the lowest elevation site and chalky soils (1,300 feet), the 2015 Chardonnay Roza Hills offers more minerality as well as caramelized currants, brioche, and toasted bread. With terrific richness, integrated acidity, and a great finish, it will keep for 3-5 years. - Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.comLearn More
- Mount Peak Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel 2014WA92$59.98Availability:In Stock92+ Points! Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine’s overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years. Patience, please. Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate #227, October 2016Learn More
- Bedrock The Bedrock Heritage Red Wine Sonoma Valley 2018$49.98Availability:In StockWinery notes: The O.G. of Bedrock Wine Co.! These vines turned 131 years in 2018 and decided it would be a great year to turn out a relatively small crop of delicious and dense fruit. As always, the wine, though based around Zinfandel, is a field-blend of the 27 varieties found in the old vines at my family’s site in the heart of Sonoma Valley, including about 20% Carignan and 5% Mataro. Like the other Sonoma Valley "Grand Cru" sites, this will definitely reward time in the decanter or a few years on its side to start showing all of its secrets. The most consistently decorated of our wines (the 2016 was the Spectator #10 wine of the year and the 2017 just got another 95), the 2018 should be another classic. Learn More
- Carlisle Winery Zinfandel Russian River Valley Montafi Ranch 2017WS92JD98VM91-94$49.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The 2017 Zinfandel Montafi Ranch comes from very old vines in the Russian River (planted in 1926) and is 89% Zinfandel with the balance a mix of other varieties (this cuvée is all black varieties, with no whites). Aged in 25% new barrels, it has awesome complexity in its dark currants, blackberry, and blueberry fruits as well as notes of ground pepper, crushed violets, smoke earth, and eucalyptus. Deep, full-bodied and powerful on the palate, it still stays perfectly balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, good acidity, and plenty of elegance (although this beauty certainly brings the power). It’s a magical, singular Zinfandel to drink over the coming 15-20 years. - Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.comGolan Heights Winery Mount Hermon Red Galilee 2017 (Kosher)$10.98Availability:In StockEvery time we are presented with something from a Kosher winery here in the states, or from Israel, the first thing out of the vender’s mouth is, ‘but don’t make a point of it being kosher’. First off, what’s wrong with it being Kosher? Does that pidgeonhole it for buyers, the practicing kosher ones thinking it is only for holidays and everyone else presuming it tastes like the mass produced, sweet reds whose names you all know.We have a hard time believing it is that cut and dried for most people. But maybe it is. Still it is our belief that if you have a wine that plays on the 'celebratory' table, that will afford it a built in audience from which you can build. If it happens to be a well made, dry red, the potential followers pool should be even larger because it should make an interesting proposition for folks who are merely looking for something red and tasty without concern for any holiday/holy day applications. If it happens to sell for a really good price as well, that would appear to be some sort of trifecta. In other words, this is first a candidate for a versatile everyday drinking red. Everything else is a bonus. The Golan Heights Winery Mount Hermon Red Galilee is such a wine.Golan Heights Winery/Yarden makes a lot of different bottling under its various labels. It is easy to get lost in the shuffle. But in a recent tasting we zeroed in on this one simply because it was dark, tasty, and engaging and sold for a song. Made from all five Bordeaux varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec), with Cabernet as the lead player, the grapes come mainly from the Golan Heights, a raised volcanic plateau going from 1300 to 3900 feet in elevation that is the coolest wine region in Israel. A small portion comes from vineyards in Galilee.We have tasted examples of this before but this one made an impression. Tasty, well-priced and, yes, kosher, but serviceable for daily use.Acumen Red Wine Mountainside Napa Valley 2014Please proceed to checkout to reveal our lowest price.Special Price $44.98Availability:In StockThe late Denis Malbec’s talents are fully showcased in the Acumen Red Wine Mountainside Napa Valley 2014. It’s a blend of 42% Cabernet, 19% Malbec, 19% Merlot, 14% Cab Franc and 6% Petit Verdot. Layers of black currant, with spice, mineral, and vanilla aspects, creamy texture on the palate, with well-disguised tannins underneath. The wine isn’t classically Napa Trophy-style ‘big’, Denis’ time at Latour certainly ingraining the wine with polish and a subtle savory streak underneath.Learn MoreBedrock Lorenzo's Heritage Wine Dry Creek Valley 2017VM94+$49.98Availability:In Stock94+ Points! Bedrock's 2017 Heritage Wine Lorenzo, from Teldeschi Ranch, is a potent, massively structured wine that will need quite a bit of time to come into its own. Dark cherry, leather, smoke, licorice, spice and menthol give the Lorenzo much of its distinctive brooding personality. - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media Learn MoreEvening Land Salem Wine Co. Pinot Noir Eola Amity Hills 2017$22.98Availability:In Stock
The whole story of the evolution of Seven Springs Vineyard over the last four decades has been a varied and interesting one reaching back to the 'formative years' of Oregon Pinot Noir. But under the winemaking team of Sashi Moorman and Rajat Parr, it may be that the best times are still ahead for Evening Land. Certainly the wines under the primary label continue to get critical acclaim, and they are at the forefront of the ‘hey we make pretty darn good Chardonnay in Oregon these days’ movement as well. Certainly their credentials are in order. But this time around we are talking about a relatively new offering that provides a classic demonstration of why we pay a lot of attention to the ‘small’ wines from important producers...Learn MoreJaffurs Wine Cellars Syrah Thompson Vineyard 2013WA93VM94$39.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! The 2013 Syrah Thompson Vineyard is one of the most expressive wines in the range. Although there are no whole clusters here, the Thompson is endowed with soaring aromatic presence. Sweet floral notes and silky tannins give the wine much of its considerable early appeal. The bright red-toned flavors are really popping today. This is all class.Habit Wine Company Red Santa Ynez Valley 2012WA92VM94Please proceed to checkout to reveal our lowest price.Special Price $69.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! The star of the lineup is the 2012 Red Wine which is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot. Inky purple to the rim, it exhibits ultra-pure notes of cassis and black raspberry fruit, hints of lead pencil shavings, peppery herbs and crushed rock. Medium-bodied, elegant and seamless, with solid underlying structure, this is a beautiful Cabernet Franc from California that readers shouldn't miss! I like it now, but I'm sure it has another decade of longevity. Jeb Dunnuck, eRobertParker.com #220, August 2015Learn MoreBold Wine Co. Sauvignon Blanc Monterey 2018$18.98Availability:In StockNo one we know thinks of the Arroyo Seco area as a hotbed for Sauvignon Blanc. But maybe that’s because they haven't been looking in the right place. Miller found Zabala Vineyards in one of the warmest subsections of this narrow west-facing valley shielded by the Santa Lucia Mountains. Planted in 1972, it is one of Monterey County’s oldest vineyards with soils of sandy loam covered with round riverbed stones. The vineyard is family-owned, impeccably cared-for, and certified organic. The Bold Wine Co. Sauvignon Blanc Monterey 2018 itself is an intriguing expression of the varietal. There is plenty of richness in the herb-laced grapefruit, melon and pear fruit, plenty of freshness while the acids are not overly aggressive, and a remarkable sense of harmony. It lacks the edgy bite that a lot of California Sauvignons possess and rather presents a rounder yet still lifted presentation of the varietal. For under $20, it is an excellent choice and given the production (a mere 268 cases of wine) we’d consider this pretty much ‘insider trading. Learn MoreNelle Winery Syrah California 2015WA94$29.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! The 2015 Syrah is fabulous, wafting from the glass with a complex bouquet of dark wild berries, cracked black pepper, dried flowers and plums. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, with a generous core of crunchy fruit that's framed by youthfully chewy tannins. Its acids are mouthwatering, and its finish is savory and long. This is a terrific Syrah from Tyler Russell. - William Kelley, Wine AdvocateLearn MoreSixto Wines Chardonnay Frenchman Hills Vineyard 2015JD93WA93VM92$34.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The 2015 Chardonnay Frenchman Hills Vineyard is very attractive, wafting from the glass with notes of buttered yellow orchard fruit, honeycomb, subtle spice and struck match. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, glossy and ample, with bright acids, lovely grip and tension and a chalky, flavorful finish. It's a very compelling Washington State Chardonnay. - William KelleyLearn MoreR Wines Grenache Chateau Chateau My Sun Is Your Sun Stonewall Barossa Valley 2006WA94$29.98Availability:In Stock94+ Points! The 2006 My Sun is your Sun Grenache is expressive aromatically with aromas of damp earth, pepper, Asian spice, plum, and kirsch. Medium to full-bodied, it is more structured and backward than its siblings and will benefit from 5-7 years of cellaring. All the components are present and harmonious so it is merely a matter of time before this wine reveals its true colors. - Jay Miller, Wine AdvocateMichael David Winery Zinfandel Seven Deadly Zins Lodi 2014WE91$14.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! Savory pepper and grilled beef aromas make this wine appetizing, its rich berry and ripe plum flavors bringing excellent concentration and depth to the palate. It's big and bold, yet polished. Firm tannins interlacing with ripeness and spiciness to keep it balanced and help proper a lingering finish. - Wine EnthusiastLearn More