Search results for: 'riesling'
- Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling Ried Gaisberg Kamptal 2016JS95WA92$36.98Availability:In Stock92-93 Points! The 2016 Ried Gaisberg 1ÖTW is a Kamptal Riesling from the Kammerner Gaisberg and has a dense and concentrated nose with fresh lemon and vegetal aromas of green asparagus intermixed with peppery and crystalline flavors. On the palate, this is a pure, dry, straight, finessed and beautifully salty Riesling that doesn't have any flesh or sugar grams on its bones. It is a highly delicate, pure and elegant Gaisberg with a great grip. It is an enormously stimulating and refreshing Riesling. A great Riesling not just for Riesling freaks. Tasted as a sample in June 2017. At this price you can hardly get any better Riesling than Gobelsburg's Gaisberg or Bründlmayer's regular Heiligenstein.- Stephan Reinhardt, Wine AdvocateLearn More
- Trimbach Riesling Selection de Vieilles Vignes 2015JS92WA92VM92$24.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Bright straw-yellow. The very floral nose also hints at liquid minerals, minty herbs and marzipan. Then lemony fresh, featuring a peppery, zingy acidity that nicely frames the flavors of ripe orchard fruit, fennel and licorice. Clearly, this is more penetrating and has stronger, more intense flavors than the Riesling Réserve. Not made every year but only in exceptional ones, for “… the key when making this wine is not to impoverish our Riesling Réserve by diverting grapes to yet another wine. In 2015, we could do that without worries,” said the Trimbachs almost in unison. Very classy wine from grapes grown mainly on the marly calcaire soils of the Hagueneau; this will last, but is deceptively easy to drink now.
- Gunther Steinmetz Riesling Piesporter Treppchen von den Terrassen 2016WA95$44.98Availability:In Stock95 Points! The 2016 Piesporter Treppchen Riesling "von den Terrassen" was picked at 96° Oechsle ("strangely, like every year," says Stefan Steinmetz) and fermented in stainless steel down to 11.5% alcohol and 20 grams of residual sugar. It is deep, ripe and complex on the nose, with very fine slate aromas and remarkable precision. From up to 90-year-old vines on very well weathered gray slate in high altitudes just below the forest, this is a very elegant and linear but mouth-filling and structured Riesling that tastes very intense and complex, thanks to the old vines and the concentrated fruit. The sweetness of 20 grams per liter is almost completely swallowed by the immense mineral freshness and the well-structured body. "A wine that always needs a lot of time to show its potential," says Stefan Steinmetz. Indeed, this is a very promising, powerful, compact Riesling with remarkable grip and tension. The finish is mouthwateringly salty and highly complex. A great wine to be served in a decade. - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate #236Learn More
- Markus Molitor Riesling Auslese ** Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Goldkapsel 2016WA97$49.98Availability:In Stock97 Points! Molitor and Mosel fans shouldn't miss the chance to buy at least a case of the 2016 Riesling Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese ** (Golden Capsule)—one of the five different Auslesen Markus Molitor selected in his most important grand cru. The sweet two-starred Auslese comes from the Schiesswingert and the Fliegenberg. It opens with a deep, clear, very fine and complex bouquet of perfectly ripe Riesling berries with very fine botrytis flavors and refreshing flinty notes from the fine slate of the Sonnenuhr. Lush and generous on the palate, with a perfectly ripe and concentrated Riesling fruit, very fine minerals and crunchy slate flavors, this is an exciting Auslese of great finesse and elegance. The finish is delicate but tensioned thanks to the crunchy-salty slate sensation that gives structure as well as finesse and energy. Bottled in September 2017; tasted March 2018.- Stephan Reinhardt, Wine AdvocateLearn More
- Dr. Crusius Riesling Trocken Top of the Rock Nahe 2015WA91$26.98Availability:In Stock91 Points! Crusius's 2015 Riesling Top of The Rock is a negative selection of the grands crus Rotenfels and Felsenberg and a bit of the Traiser Bastei. It opens with a clear, deep and intense bouquet of flinty volcanic aromas along with ripe and concentrated Riesling-on-the-rocks flavors. The wine is full-bodied, round and piquant on the palate, really vital and structured by prickling minerals. It shows power and finesse and finishes with a long, stimulatingly salty aftertaste. I would recommend cellaring this excellent Riesling for another two or three years, but you can surely enjoy it over 10-15 years. Stephan Reinhardt, The Wine Advocate #228, December 2016Learn More
- Dr. Hermann Riesling Kabinett Erdener Treppchen Mosel #6 2017WA94$24.98Availability:Out of Stock94 Points! Picked in the last week of September and vinified in a classic fuder, the 2017 Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett –6– is a clear, fresh, ripe and flinty Riesling with racy acidity and a piquant, lush finish. The finish is so salty, piquant and stimulating, even though the lush sweetness is a bit too high for my personal taste. In any case, this is a serious and tensioned Kabinett with a long, complex finish. - Stephan Reinhardt, robertparker.com Learn More
- Selbach Oster Riesling Kabinett Zeltinger Sonnenuhr 2017WS91WA94$21.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! The 2017 Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett is bright in color and flavors—it's very elegant and subtle on the deep, refined and aromatically discreet nose. Salty-piquant, vibrantly fresh and even racy on the palate, this is a juicy, intense, very complex, straight and crystalline Riesling with a seemingly coolish character but a warm and wide soul. The finish is piquant, fresh and salty, with the tension of iron. This is still young but already very attractive. Tasted in March 2019. - Stephan Reinhardt, robertparker.com Learn More
- Dr. Hermann Riesling Kabinett Piesporter Goldtropfchen Mosel 2017WA93$24.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The 2017 Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Kabinett is clear, precise, herbal and flinty but also ripe and generous on the nose. It is lush and piquant on the palate yet cooler than the Würzgarten. This is a refined, elegant, fresh and firmly structured Riesling with grip and tension and a rather quiet nature. Bottled with 50 grams per liter of residual sugar and 8.5 grams per liter of acidity. Tasted in March 2019. - Stephan Reinhardt, robertparker.com Learn More
- Clemens Busch Riesling Marienburg Falkenlay Grosses Gewachs 2015JS94WA97$39.98Availability:In Stock97 Points! The 2015 Pündericher Marienburg Riesling Falkenlay opens clear, pure, fresh and mineral, with concentrated mirabelle aromas on the nose. Fermented for 18 months and aged for another three months on the lees, this was bottled in December 2017 with 20 grams of residual sugar. Smooth, rich, round and elegant on the palate, with intense and perfectly ripe mirabelle fruit as well as great finesse and aging potential, this is a salty-piquant and super lush Riesling...Tasted February 2018. - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate #236Learn More
- Schafer-Frohlich Riesling Spatlese Bockenauer Felseneck 2016WS93WA92VM91Special Price $29.98 Regular Price $50.00Availability:In Stock92 Points! Sourced from steep plots with 30- to 40-year-old vines, the 2016 Nahe Riesling Bockenauer Felseneck Spätlese was picked early—just one week after the Kabinett—to preserve the acidity and with perfectly healthy berries at 95° Oechsle. This is a flinty-spicy, stony-mineral Riesling with beautiful herbal and minty notes. Round, very clear and elegant on the palate, this is a lithe, greatly finessed and delicate Spätlese with crystalline clarity and a slatey character. This reminds me of a Wehlener Sonnenuhr or Graacher Himmelreich from the Mosel. This is a highly precise and delicate Spätlese with lingering salinity and crystallization. - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
- Wicks Estate Dry Riesling Adelaide Hills 2015Special Price $9.98 Regular Price $20.00Availability:In Stock94 Points James Halliday! Riveting dry-style Riesling from the Adelaide Hills....Riesling has a strong affinity for the cooler climes of the World, and it is therefore no surprise that it would produce wines of great character in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia. Lifted floral aromas and the lively citrus fruit intensity are finely balanced by the tight structure and crisp natural acidity.Learn More
- Richter Riesling Kabinett Elisenberger 2016WA93$18.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! From another tributary of the Mosel, the 2016 Elisenberger Riesling Kabinett is from slate soils rich in quartzite. The wine opens with clean and flinty but also ripe and concentrated fruit on the nose, intermixed with crunchy slate flavors. Lush, piquant, very salty and stunningly pure and fresh, this is a very fine, elegant and unique Mosel Riesling that has a bit of the precision and mineral character of an Eiswein. The grapes are picked seven to ten days later than the Himmelreich Kabinett, and the acidity is super clear and precise, cutting through the concentrated fruit like a laser sword. This is a very promising Kabinett, perhaps the finest of the 2016 vintage chez MFR. Tasted in March 2018. - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
- Markus Molitor Riesling Auslese ** Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Weisse Kapsel 2016WA98$49.98Availability:In Stock98 Points! The 2016 Riesling Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese ** (White Capsule) is a different style of Mosel Riesling compared to the other 2016 Auslesen. Fermented in different oak vats, from barrique size to 3,000-liter vats (including one big Stockinger vat that was new), this is clear, ripe and complex on the nose, with toasty as well as smoky-mineral notes framing the perfectly ripe and elegant stone fruit aromas. Full-bodied, round and complex, with gorgeous sweetness and mind-blowing silkiness and balance, this is a rich yet fine, elegant, highly complex and persistent Auslese from Markus's most important single vineyard. The 2016 is concentrated yet very clear and elegant, revealing very fine tannins and a very long, complex finish. It already drinks with great wonder, and this wine will even gain more complexity though it's already hard to resist. - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
- Keller Riesling RR 2016VM94$58.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! This “Kalkstein Reserve” or “Kirchspiel Reserve” – take your pick – reflects a share of wine from Kirchspiel that finished not quite legally trocken and corresponds with the wine formerly known simply as “Riesling RR.” Its 11 grams of sugar surely play a role in what comes off as an explosively fruity albeit dry-tasting performance loaded with succulent white peach, tart-edged, seedy kiwi and crisp apple. The upshot is a silken-textured, infectiously juicy, startlingly tingling and consummately refreshing Riesling. A combination of mint and chalk suffusion lends the long, vibrant finish a delightfully cooling cast. “You ferment spontaneously, and I don’t get a bellyache over whether you end up being trocken, halbtrocken or with 30 grams of sugar. Do whatever you think right!” quipped Keller, imagining that he was addressing the newly pressed must. He didn’t let me back him into a corner over the question of why his must from the especially iron-rich portion of Kirchspiel in question so often finishes halbtrocken, a condition that seems to perfectly complement the cool, chalky Kirchspiel traits that in the realm of legal dryness can sometimes become austere. But he did offer this further comment with a grin: “You could never do this with Morstein” - by which I presume he means he would never let it happen!
- Kruger-Rumpf Riesling Spatlese Munsterer Dautenpflanzer 2015WA93$21.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! The 2015 Münsterer Dautenpflänzer Riesling Spätlese does not contain any botrytis like in former years when it was rather a downgraded Auslese than a Spätlese. Georg Rumpf has started to vinify more clear and elegant Spätlesen with no botrytis at all, except of the Scharlachberg (where up to 5% is accepted). Bright and clear in color, this Riesling displays a lovely, clear and refined bouquet with flinty, herbal and ripe white fruit aromas. On the palate this is a sweet but also lush, piquant and salty, very well-structured Spätlese. It has a nice grip and positive bitterness resulting from the 5-6 hours of maceration time. You can enjoy it already today, but it will be gorgeous in 5-10 and even in 15 years. Stephan Reinhardt, The Wine Advocate #228, December 2016Learn More
- Markus Molitor Riesling Auslese *** Wehlener Sonnenuhr Weisse Kapsel 2015WA99$99.98Availability:In Stock99+ Points! Pure and flinty, with perfectly ripe stone fruit aromas that are seamlessly intertwined with the flavors of crushing stones, the 2015 Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese *** (White Capsule) is powerful, rich and incredibly juicy on the palate but, at the same time, pure, finessed and crystalline. This is a highly complex and salty, endlessly juicy and stony Riesling of great precision and salinity. The finish is long and stimulatingly salty, very rich and powerful and still marked by its yeasty texture. Fermented and aged in 3,100-liter barrel from Stockinger. Bottled in September. Stephan Reinhardt, The Wine Advocate #230, April 2017Learn More
- Jamek Riesling Ried Klaus Federspiel 2015WA90VM92$36.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! The 2015 Riesling Federspiel Ried Klaus offers a precise bouquet of white fruits intertwined with herbal and flinty stone aromas. Round and intense on the palate, with beautiful concentration and a persistent, lovely salty finish, this is a highly elegant and complex, tightly structured Riesling from one of the most spectacular single-vineyard sites of the Wachau. The finish is full of tension, purity, salt and finally pretty long as well. - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate #225Learn More
- Trossen Riesling Spatlese Vom Berg 2014Special Price $29.98 Regular Price $42.98Availability:In StockTrossen's biodynamically-farmed vines lie in the less-than-famous Kinheimer Kindel, and are easily identifiable on the hill because they are the ‘green’ ones (cover crop and all that). We have criticized a number of 2014s for not having enough ‘drive’. Clearly Trossen didn’t get that memo because this one’s got the power. This is a riveting spatlese showing violet, white currant, peach, stones and apple among other things. Tightly wound, it unveils more as it sits in the glass. Sneaky layers of fruit, deceptive power and persistent drive through the palate, this is a complete effort with spatlese sweetness perfectly cut with fresh acidity. It’s a must for Riesling fans and a great ambassador for traditional German Riesling.Learn More
- Schafer-Frohlich Riesling Spatlese Bockenauer Felseneck 2013WA93Special Price $27.98 Regular Price $44.98Availability:In Stock
How did we score a deal on one of Germany's pre-eminent producers of world-class Riesling? easy, there ain't a lot of it...
93+ Points! The bright yellow, greenish shimmering 2013 Felseneck Riesling Spätlese opens as a serious wine with cool, fresh, spicy/smoky slate, quartzite and herbal aromas on the nose that indicate a deep and mineral as well as full-bodied and complex Riesling. The palate is impressively juicy and pure at the same time and the finish piquant and salty. Still young this Spätlese just suggests its true class and complexity which shines through in a long, piquant and grippy finish. - Stephan Reinhardt, RobertParker.comLearn MoreHURRY, ONLY 6 LEFT!
- Schlossgut Diel Riesling Kabinett Dorsheimer Goldloch 2014WA90Special Price $25.98 Regular Price $36.00Availability:In Stock90 Points! Bright fruit flavors with orange peel aromas opens the 2014 Dorsheim Goldloch Riesling Kabinett. This is a light and very racy Riesling with a great piquancy and enormous juiciness. This wine was fermented in Stückfass, but it is, nevertheless, a rather very reductive style. - Stephan Reinhardt, eRobertParker.com #223Learn More