Search results for: 'New zealand'
- Hillersden Estate Pinot Noir Marlborough 2016$19.98Availability:In StockWe have been selling New Zealand Pinot Noirs since the 1993 vintage, prior to which we had no idea they even made Pinot Noir in New Zealand. A Pinot Noir-centric Oregon purveyor went there and hand carried back things like Ata Rangi and Te Mata, and our impression was that this was clearly the start of something significant. In the roughly quarter century that followed, the Kiwis have established themselves as an important Pinot Noir option in this marketplace.Back then few had a clear idea of the appellations or general lay of the land, but certain consistent profiles became apparently. Generally New Zealand Pinots are cooler customers and a bit more savory. Sometimes they can be downright sharp and green, perhaps just a bit too ‘cool climate’ for our tastes. But the best examples have a more pronounced fruit core and more rounded edges, but still present their fruit in a more restrained, lifted, cooler-edged manner. It is the ones that hit that happy medium of bright mulberry and dark cherry fruit with enough palate tenderness to give them a broader audience that really present viable and distinctive options for Pinot fans.The best examples play to that, and Hillersden is a new face for us that offers a great look at a wine that is reasonably outgoing yet at the same time distinctly New Zealand. The mulberry, plum and dark cherry fruit has both mineral and savory spice underpinnings, but also possesses a suppler palate-feel and somewhat softer edges to really give a good reckoning of the place without one having to forgive a touch of shrillness far too many have. The combination in the Hillersden Estate Pinot Noir Marlborough 2016 makes for a compelling drink and the price point is relatively easy on the pocketbook. In other words, we may have found a new player moving forward but this example certainly delivers. Their claim is that they are the only family-owned, single estate producer in Wairu.We had never heard of this producer before but that may have to do with the fact that their history only goes back to 2015. They are in the upper Wairu Valley, which is a bit further inland and a bit warmer than many of the other Marlborough sites. This would certainly help make the wine fleshier while still preserving the brightness of the flavors. Winemaker Adam Kubrock actually grew up in Walla Walla and made Syrah and other reds but became enchanted with the cool climate winemaking Down Under. This Pinot sees 10 months in 25% new French oak and all of the fruit is farmed sustainably.
- Clos Apalta Vertical Dinner @ The Winery Newport Beach$150.00Availability:In Stock
We will be hosting a Clos Apalta dinner at The Winery in Newport beach on September 27th with the guest of honor being the man himself, Charles de Bournet Marnier-Lapostolle. Champagne at 6:30, sit down 7:00, $150+ tax per person all in...This is an ticket-less event. Your purchase will be logged and you may check in with us the night of the event to confirm your reservation. Learn More
3-4 courses we are pouring:
2016 Petit Clos – 1st course
2016 Clos Apalta – 1st course
2015 Clos Apalta – 2nd course
2013 Clos Apalta – 2nd course
2009 Clos Apalta – 3rd course
2005 Clos Apalta – 3rd courseHURRY, ONLY 3 LEFT!
- Rare Wine Company Madeira New York MalmseyVM92Special Price $44.98 Regular Price $55.00Availability:In Stock92 Points! Medium amber. Powerfully scented bouquet combines cherry compote, cola, molasses, pipe tobacco and brown sugar. Lush and expansive in the mouth, offering sweet pit fruit and orange marmalade flavors and a deeper note of espresso. Clings tenaciously on the finish, which leaves notes of bitter cherry and candied flowers behind.
- Pichon Lalande Pauillac 2017 Pre-ArrivalJD93-95JS95-96WA94-96NM93-95VM93-95$124.9894-96 Points! This barrel sample is 100% new oak, whereas the final blend will be only 60% new oak. A blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande is very deep garnet-purple in color with an incredibly fragrant nose of roses, lavender and baking spices over a core of crushed blackcurrants, wild blueberries and fresh plums plus touches of iron ore and underbrush. Medium-bodied and elegant with firm, grainy tannins, it's quite taut and muscular, with lots of perfumed and mineral layers and a long finish with lingering cinnamon and anise notes. - Lisa Perrotti-Brown, Wine AdvocateLearn More
- Terlano Sauvignon Alto Adige Winkl 2018WA92$29.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Cantina Terlano's 2018 Alto Adige Terlaner Sauvignon Winkl (with an ample 240,000 bottles made) is a beautifully articulate and forthcoming expression that shows the very best of Italian Sauvignon Blanc. It offers a case study as to what makes this grape taste different than, say, competing expressions from the New World or New Zealand. This fragrant grape tends to be less pungent and sharp in Italy, focusing instead on softer tones of summer peach, preserved lemon and passion fruit. The effect is silky, smooth and absolutely delicious. - Monica Larner, robertparker.com Learn More
- Dog Point Pinot Noir Marlborough 2015JS96WA92$34.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! Impressive red-cherry aromas precede great depth and structured, handy tannins that pull real flavors out of the wine and coat the palate. This holds fresh and rich darker cherries and red plums long into the finish. Regal pinot with soul and swagger. Drink now to 2025. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.com
- Two Paddocks Pinot Noir The Fusilier Central Otago 2014WS92JS94WA94VM91$59.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! This is the inaugural release of the new Bannockburn vineyard of Two Paddocks and their only single vineyard release for 2014. And judging from this, what a superb and very unique addition to Two Paddocks' already exciting pair of vineyards based in Gibbston and Alexandra! This has quite and earthy / gamey / savory nose with a core of warm raspberries, kirsch, roses and cloves with a waft of yeast extract. The light-bodied palate has lovely finesse and elegance and yet offers good intensity and persistence, with lovely ripe, fine-grained tannins and plenty of layers. Apart from all this, it is totally delicious! Lisa Perrotti-Brown, eRobertParker.com #224, April 2016Learn More
- Quartz Reef Brut Méthode Traditionnelle Central Otago NVWS90WE92JS92$29.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! A masterful sparkling with abundantly fresh nectarine, white peach and lemon citrus. The palate swings more into grapefruit territory and holds a neat, fresh and zesty stance. A savoury and stony finish. - JamesSuckling.com Learn More
- Quartz Reef Pinot Noir Central Otago Bendigo Estate Single Vineyard 2016DEC94JS92WA91VM91$32.98Availability:In Stock94 Points! From Rudi Bauer’s capable hands, this reveals the merest whiff of smoke. The palate is corsetted sumptuousness, while the frame is firm, showing lots of backbone. A lovely synthesis of fruit, structure and texture that channels Bendigo power into finesse. The lasting finish resonates with fruit. Biodynamic. - Decanter Magazine Learn More
- Rippon Pinot Noir Mature Vine Central Otago 2015JS96WA94$54.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! A blend of parcels across the property, this has a deeply spicy array of mixed fruit, framed in aromas of flint, dark stones, pepper, woody spices, wild herbs and fresh earth. Texturally, this is super fine and taut, which reflects the schist soils found here. Very fine, powerful and athletic with sustained fruit flavors that are typical of pinot noir. Long aging potential. Drink or hold. - JamesSuckling.com Learn More
- Rapaura Springs Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough Reserve 2018WS92DEC91$16.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! Exotic notes of honeysuckle, lanolin and spice pave the way for succulent peach, mango and mandarin orange flavors. Impressively complex, with a supple texture and a long, expressive finish. - Wine Spectator Learn More
- Greenhough Pinot Noir Hope Vineyard Nelson 2015WA93$24.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! Cedary hints of pencil shavings frame black cherry fruit on the nose of the 2015 Hope Vineyard Pinot Noir. The best vintage of this wine I've ever tasted, it blends clones UCD 5 (Pommard), AM 10/5 (a New Zealand staple) with 777 (Dijon) to create a complex tapestry of dark fruit, smooth, supple tannins and balanced acidity. It should age well for up to 10 years, perhaps more. - Joe Czerwinski, robertparker.com Learn More
- Ata Rangi Pinot Noir Marlborough 2016JS98$52.98Availability:Out of Stock98 Points! This has all the cherry and spice and perfume that defines this consistently stunning pinot noir, as well as a sense of immense freshness. The palate has deceptive lightness and tannins that are supple and caressing and that kick fresh and expansive out through the finish. Succulent and elegant. A great vintage for this wine. Drink now. - JamesSuckling.com Learn More
- Yealands Sauvignon Blanc Single Vineyard Marlborough 2018WS90WE90$18.98Availability:In Stock90 Points! Toasted herb and sea salt notes complement the core of vivid pineapple, melon and grapefruit flavors. Concentrated, with vibrant acidity. Drink now. - Wine SpectatorLearn More
- Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc E Block Marlborough 2017JS93$19.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! A very composed and complex style with grassy and herbal accents across restrained limes that deliver a fresh palate with stony minerals, lime juice and light tropical flavors. Tight and tidy. Drink now. Screw cap. - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Meyer Nakel Spatburgunder (Pinot Noir) Estate 2016$29.98Availability:In StockWerner Näkel was chosen wine maker of the year in 2004 in the Gault-Millau. He is a visionary that revolutionized Pinot Noir production the Ahr region. In 2011, Fallstaff, the leading wine publication in Austria, chose Werner Näkel for its highest award: his life’s work in wine! In 2008 Decanter Magazine bestowed on Meyer-Näkel the International trophy for Pinot Noir. Quoting Decanter, “It’s a fantastic achievement for Germany to win this trophy. Imagine it – they have beaten Burgundy, New Zealand and Oregon, all the acknowledged Pinot regions of the world.”Learn More
- Escarpment Pinot Noir Pahi Martinborough 2015WS92JS96$49.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! The final Escarpment Pahi due to vineyard ownership changes, this offers an intense expression on the nose with iodine, tarry elements, bracken, graphite, darker cherries and biscuity spices. The palate unfurls at a smooth and even pace, delivering a ball of supple red cherry-flavoured pinot noir fruit flesh and silky, sweeping waves of tannins. Always good to go out on a high, this is superb. Drink now. Screw cap. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More
- Escarpment Pinot Noir Te Rehua Martinborough 2015WS93JS97$49.98Availability:In Stock97 Points! A dark and brooding pinot noir with big, swarthy tannins. Dark cherries and dark violet-like florals, toasted spices and dark herbal notes, too. The palate has a smooth shell-like outer, opening to powerful, succulent tannins that really command. A concentrated Te Rehua, this is one of the best to date. Drink from 2020. Screw cap. - James Suckling, jamessuckling.comLearn More