Search results for: '1000 Stories Zinfandel Bourbon Barrel Aged 2016'
- Taylor Fladgate Tawny Port 10 Year OldWA90$27.98Availability:In StockThe NV 10 Year Old Tawny Port was bottled in 2014 with 105.23 grams per liter of residual sugar. Easily the 10 with the most weight in the Fladgate group's lineup this issue, it is a rather powerful 10 year old Tawny with plenty of pop, the biggest and baddest of the trio (Fonseca, Croft and this). There is very fine concentration of flavor for a 10 year old Tawny. If I had a quibble, the alcohol shows at times, especially early on and rather notably when drunk a little too warm. (Around 60 degrees Fahrenheit is a lot better than room temperature most of the time, to be sure, not just here.) Overall, the weight, complexity, mouth feel and grip on the finish still make this my favorite of the group of 10s submitted by Taylor Fladgate this issue, although it's close and there are some pros and cons. This comes with a bar top cork, i.e., not intended to be aged (although it most certainly can hold a couple of decades barring cork failures). - Mark Squires, eRobertParker.com #215, December 2015Learn More
- d'Issan Margaux 2009JS94WA93$109.98Availability:In Stock93 Points! A strong effort from proprietor Emmanuel Cruse, d’Issan’s 2009 was fashioned from minuscule yields of 18 hectoliters per hectare, and its 13.7% natural alcohol set a record at this estate. Composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon and 38% Merlot, it exhibits a classic Margaux fragrance of acacia flowers/violets, blueberries, cassis, licorice and camphor. Opulent and full-bodied with silky tannins as well as a rich, dense style, it will be interesting to compare the 2009 with the brilliant 2000 and 2005 over the next two to three decades. Anticipated maturity: 2018-2035+. - Robert Parker, Wine Advocate
- Lustau East India SoleraWA96$23.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! The dark amber-hued non-vintage East India Solera is essentially an old Oloroso blended with an old Pedro Ximenez, which gives it a sweet character. It offers more mature notes of maple syrup, brown sugar, spice box, raisin and chocolate beer nuts, and its terrific balancing acidity cuts through the sweetness. This delicious effort is best drunk after the meal.- Robert Paker, Wine Advocate #202Learn More
- Lustau Moscatel Superior Emilin SherryWA96$23.98Availability:In Stock96 Points! The non-vintage Moscatel Emilin Solera Reserva is the sweetest sherry in this group as well as the easiest to appreciate as it is made from 100% Moscatel...These are all remarkable efforts for their stunning value. While they are still under-the-radar for most American wine lovers, I encourage readers to give them a try as they are great introductory reference points for how profound sherry can be. I first wrote about the extraordinary sherries of Emilio Lustau many years ago, in the early days of The Wine Advocate. The portfolio of under $25 a bottle selections represents remarkable value for their complex, well-made personalities. - Robert Parker, Wine Advocate
- Lustau Oloroso Don NunoJS92$23.98Availability:In Stock92 Points! In spite of the massive tarte-tatin character in the nose, this is mouth-filling but bone dry and powerful with a rather silky finish for a dry Oloroso (which tends to bitterness and austerity). Drink now. - JamesSuckling.comLearn More
- Taylor Tawny Port 20 Year OldWA93$44.98Availability:In StockThe NV 20 Year Old Tawny Port was bottled in 2015 and comes in at 111 grams per liter of residual sugar. On first taste, this was simply Taylor: big, concentrated and serious. It was all that and a bag of chips, but over a couple of day it also demonstrated far more elegance. It seemed arguably better balanced than the 10 year old Tawny this issue. Simply filling the mouth on first taste, this shows fine complexity for its age and it does everything else rather brilliantly. Succulent and inviting, it finishes with waves of concentrated flavors. The fruit remains lifted and and it has a bright, transparent feel. It is hard to resist, often seeming like a bit of an overachiever. It's not the best tawny Taylor's submitted this issue, but it might be the best intersection of quality and price. - Mark Squires, eRobertParker.com #222, December, 2015Learn More
- Andersons Conn Valley Cabernet Estate Reserve 2009WA96$69.98Availability:In Stock96 points! The 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve is rich, sumptuous and totally gorgeous. Plums, black currants, blackberries, menthol, licorice and sweet herbs jump from the glass as this intense, full-bodied wine shows off its...Learn More
- Hubert Meyer Cremant D'Alsace Rosé$19.98Availability:In StockCremant d'Alsace is one of France's best-kept secrets. These classically bottle-fermented sparklers from Alsace, an area known more for its sweeter wines and taller bottles, can throw down some excellent value from the top producers. The house of Hubert Meyer is one of them! An exciting new find for us, there is some young, energetic winemaking here and it really shows through in wines like this dry, forest strawberry-inflected bubbly, challenging its neighbor to the west in Champagne at about a third the price. 100% Pinot Noir here, handled in the traditional Methode Champenoise...Learn More
- Clos des Papes (Paul Avril) Le petit vin d'Avril NV$22.98Availability:In StockOne of the best kept secrets in the wine world! Along with the fabled Clos des Papes ($100+/bottle), Avril makes this Clos des Papes Le Petit Vin d'Avril Non-Vintage. This value bottling is a blend of declassified juice from their elite Chateauneuf vineyards plus a five hectare parcel near the Rhone River that is outside ‘the zone’ for the appellation. The blend is predominantly the classics, Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvèdre, but there are solid portions of Cabernet, Merlot, Carignan, and Marselan as well. Along with the fabled Clos des Papes, Avril makes this Clos des Papes Le Petit Vin d'Avril Non-Vintage. This value bottling is a blend of declassified juice from their elite Chateauneuf vineyards plus a five hectare parcel near the Rhone River that is outside ‘the zone’ for the appellation. The blend is predominantly the classics, Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvèdre, but there are solid portions of Cabernet, Merlot, Carignan, and Marselan as well.Learn More
- Egly Ouriet Brut Tradition Grand Cru NVWA93VM93$72.98Availability:In Stock
The NV Brut Grand Cru Tradition is bright, powerful and focused. Beams of acidity and mineral push the flavors forward and give the wine much of its pulsating energy. Candied lemon, smoke, crushed rocks, mint and dried pear are some of the notes that meld into the sculpted finish. Given the wine's tension and punch, I might cellar the Brut Tradition for another 6-12 months. This is a terrific showing. In this release, the blend is 50% 2009, 30% 2008 and 20% 2007. Dosage is 4 grams/liter. Disgorged: November 2014.
- Alvear Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927 375mlWA98$24.98Availability:Out of Stock98 Points! The NV Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927 is non-vintage, but does have some 1927 material in it. This is totally dark brown/amber with notes of figs, toffee, caramel syrup, molasses and coffee. It is dense, super sweet, intense, rich and an amazingly, unctuously textured, thick beverage to consume slowly and introspectively after a meal. Drink now through 2050, or even longer. - Robert Parker, eRobertParker.com, November 2015BEST_UNDER_50,Learn More
- Rare Wine Company Madeira Savannah VerdelhoVM93Please proceed to checkout to reveal our lowest price.Special Price $55.00Availability:Out of Stock93 Points! Medium amber with a green rim. Aromas of burnt orange, tobacco, toffee and herbs, with a hint of potpourri adding an exotic component. Broader and deeper than the Charleston, offering sappy orange marmalade, chestnut honey and toffee flavors underscored by tangy acidity. Shows a sweet, nutty quality on the smoky, gently spicy finish. I like this wine's heft and thrust.
- Rare Wine Company Madeira New York MalmseyVM92Special Price $44.98 Regular Price $55.00Availability:In Stock92 Points! Medium amber. Powerfully scented bouquet combines cherry compote, cola, molasses, pipe tobacco and brown sugar. Lush and expansive in the mouth, offering sweet pit fruit and orange marmalade flavors and a deeper note of espresso. Clings tenaciously on the finish, which leaves notes of bitter cherry and candied flowers behind.
- Rare Wine Company Madeira Charleston SercialVM92Special Price $44.98 Regular Price $55.00Availability:Out of Stock92 Points! Medium amber. Gingerbread, orange zest, clove, blond tobacco and honey on the nose. Spicy citrus and poached pear flavors are lifted by zesty acidity and show a gentle smoky quality on the back end. Blends sweetness and dryness smoothly, finishing with good nervy cut, a jolt of fleur de sel and lingering smoke, citrus and spice notes.
- Rare Wine Company Madeira Boston BualVM92Special Price $44.98 Regular Price $55.00Availability:In Stock92 Points! Light, bright amber. Deep aromas of cherry pit, candied orange, toffee and molasses, lifted by a note of dried rose. Chewy in texture, with dry-edged nut and burnt orange flavors, a touch of molasses sugar and good back-end grip. Quite sweet but the wine's acidity adds focus, nerve and finishing bite.